Thursday, May 21, 2009

So what lessons should we draw from Tuesday (my own version).

So what lessons should we draw from Tuesday (my own version).

First, during the campaign, we had a visit from a Ravenstahl volunteer. She didn’t try to persuade me when I told her I wouldn’t be voting for the Mayor, although she did ask about the household. I did not have a visit from a Dowd volunteer, to say nothing of the candidate (although I did get lots of emails). If I had been on the fence, which way would I have been pushed? I know I have advocated campaigning negatively, and I stand behind that, especially with this Mayor. But I think there needs to be more. If either of the independents running in the general is to have a chance, they will need even more to connect with City residents.

Which brings us to the next lesson. Len Bodack won in his first election when he had two popular progressives running against him (was it Mitch Kates? and Nancy Nozick? Who founded Lotus?). Natalia Rudiak won because two relatively popular candidates split a vote (and because, according to Chris Potter, she had volunteers knocking on a lot of doors). The threat against Ravenstahl this time may have been watered down because two candidates ran against him. So what will happen in the general if two independents run against Ravenstahl? Both Acklin and Harris have been, at some point, Republicans. So once again I propose that one of the two drop out, in exchange for becoming the Chief of Staff for the other if the other is elected. I would lean toward Acklin dropping out. Harris can run as an African American and the son of a famous Steeler. Acklin can provide the political skill and experience to help save the City.

Otherwise I think Ravenstahl out fund raises and watches them split the vote, possibly along similar lines as Tuesday’s election.

Independent(s), better start the campaign soon too. That was a mistake DeSantis acknowledged.

Meanwhile, just a mention, Gail Collins (in the NYTimes and in particular), drew our (my, anyway) attention to the fact that the Democrats in Senate are not doing all thy could with their majority. Not that the have 60 votes yet, but they are crumbling like a stale cake in the face of the diminished but still lock step Republicans. The Dem’s voted against funding the dismantling of the facility of Guantanamo Bay after having called for it to be closed during the last election campaign, and many voted for the amendment to the credit card reform bill that allows people to carry concealed weapons in National Parks (!). Republicans have always been willing to tell their constituents some unpleasant things (mostly about Democrats) while running, but Democrats seem to be in great fear of offending their conservative constituents.

No comments: