Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Something caught my attention ...

So I haven’t posted in over a week. Busy, busy, but also there’s not much in the way of news recently. The war in fact does seem like a lost cause, the democrats are trying to fix the AMT; interesting but not enough to draw me away from other things to the keyboard.

I will say this, UPMC’s plan to move their headquarters got me thinking. I guess a lot of the headquarters was probably already in Chatham Center, but the official-ness of the move from Oakland and the flagship UPMC hospitals to downtown has some symbolic value.

I think a lot of people think the label “Non-profit” is way too broad. I guess there is already a term “Not for profit” that covers at least Blue Cross/Highmark (or it did when I worked there). I, for one, am disturbed/annoyed that one of the tenants of one of the presumably higher priced buildings downtown will be paying no property tax on their rent. They will get to “choose” what contribution to make to the city/county. Sure, UPMC is regulated in their insurance business, they have to negotiate with insurance companies for payment and all the rest. But their protests about all their charity and their nonprofit status sound a little too much like the oil companies saying “we just had a good year” (record profits in the billions) “We have bad years, we can’t we have good years?”.

No comments: