Thursday, June 14, 2007

I got polled yesterday. Poor, uh, souls. It was a DeSantis poll, no less. Where’d he get money? Is the local republican party stepping up to the plate? Gee, I wish I could see the results of the poll.

Got the call around 8:00 last night. A blocked call according to the caller ID, but my mom’s phone comes across that way on our caller ID, so my wife handed me the phone. A political survey call. They wanted to ask a few questions, leading off with (as I remember) what are the biggest issues facing the city? I said our big per capita debt, with no increase in the tax base. The researcher pressed for more (isn’t that enough) I fumbled a bit and then said I was fine with that. Then it was a do you recognize any of these names, and do you know anything about them? Mark Desantis. Yep. Luke Ravenstahl, yep. Dan Onorato. Yep. What do you know about DeSantis? Well, republican candidate for mayor, businessman, wants to merge city and county (at some point I tried to editorialize a bit about that). If election were held today, who would I vote for? (probably DeSantis). Then she gave me some DeSantis statements, which really were fairly amusing. First was the city county merger, then putting all city financial information on the web, improving schools by reducing bureaucracy and something something, the bit about 60,000 population loss (I really wanted to editorialize then) and one or two others. Then a repeat of the election question, who would I vote for? (same answer, probably DeSantis). Then some demographic questions.

I mean, come on, the Mayor has nothing to do with schools, can’t force the county to do anything, much less merge with the city, and DeSantis is over-stating how hard it is to get information. That said, Ravenstahl is worse. Even if DeSantis is distorting some thing’s to play to a lower common denominator, it’s better to talk about things than to ignore them. I don’t know that a city county merger is the only answer or even the right answer, but it has no chance unless the Mayor is onboard. So even to talk about it would seem to require DeSantis in office.

The demographic questions were interesting. After finding out my party affiliation, I think the last question was whether I would *ever* vote for a republican for Mayor (sure, why not). With a question like that in the survey, it makes we wonder whether this survey is just trying to show DeSantis why he has no chance. I wonder if UCSUR is doing the survey? Was this a "push poll"?

I don't want to talk about April 23 except to say someone somewhere must have tipped Ravenstahl off that Tiger Woods was coming since it was supposed to be a surprise to the cardholders attending (or so I have been lead to believe). Also, since it was valued at $900, I am assuming the Mayor is declaring the value of the event somewhere. Well, I will say this more, this Mayor has clearly based a part of his administration activities on his own celebrity. Will it benefit Pittsburgh? Perhaps (Golf Channel commercials?). But its not unusual to have celebrity Mayors (see Rudy Giuliani), and I don't particularly begrudge him that. In fact, I can see where he needed to go to Oakmont on April 23rd, to seize the opportunity for him to be seen with a celebrity. It's hard work maintaining celebrity status, and let's face it, Pittsburgh doesn't give Mayor's too many opportunities for it. But I also think the Mayor needs to take the gift rules seriously, to remove any serious questions about his ethics.

3 comments:

Bram Reichbaum said...

"But its not unusual to have celebrity Mayors (see Rudy Giuliani), and I don't particularly begrudge him that. In fact, I can see where he needed to go to Oakmont on April 23rd, to seize the opportunity for him to be seen with a celebrity. It's hard work maintaining celebrity status, and let's face it, Pittsburgh doesn't give Mayor's too many opportunities for it."

My stars. Just clarify for me that your tongue was way, way up in your cheek when you typed that, ok?

Amos_thePokerCat said...

"Push poll"? I doubt it. Push polls are a way to get wild tabloid like negative rumors out into the general public. It would have been a push poll of the only question they asked you was something like "Did you know that Luke Ravenstahl wants to have Tiger Woods' love child?" Now, that would have made it a push poll.

That a "R" on the ballot after a candidate's name is a kiss of death in the city of PIT is hardly a rumor.

EdHeath said...

Let me just say first I tried to edit this post, but Blogger got stuck, wouldn’t post my update…

Actually, Bram, my tongue is only partly lodged in cheek. Seriously, by itself, there is nothing wrong with a celebrity-seeking mayor. I haven’t seen any complaints from Oakmont or Tiger Woods about April 23rd. In fact, a city mayor is a minor celebrity anyway, and Ravenstahl is a step up from that by virtue of his national exposure. His celebrity status deserves its own office in the city county building, and it is clearly his most successful endeavor to date. Its even possible Tiger Woods had heard of the Mayor, and didn’t mind or even wanted to meet him. To the extent the Mayor can capitalize on his celebrity status by getting Pittsburgh some exposure as well, that’s a good thing. Next year, with a revamped council starting to function, maybe the best place for the Mayor is out at events, representing the city and leaving governing to people who want to do it (and want what’s best for the city and its citizens).

But that doesn’t mean I don’t expect more, or that I haven’t noticed that Ravenstahl has not delivered. I just don’t think this Oakmont thing qualifies as real bad behavior. I would like to see a statement from the Mayor about the value of his visit to the country club, and then I think the Burghosphere should drop it.

Amos, I just glanced at the Wikipeida definition of a “Push Poll”, which is something like trying to influence a vote in the guise of a poll. My pollster gave some examples of DeSantis statements and then essentially asked if my opinion of DeSantis had changed, so I can’t help but think they were trying to influence me a little. But you are right, the Wiki-P emphasizes that push polls are usually negative, so this was a pretty mild version, if one at all. I can’t imagine calling around Pittsburgh for a republican mayoral candidate. I still wonder about their results. I may have been the one blip in favor of DeSantis. They asked too about Dan Onorato and then never followed up with additional questions about him. I wonder what they were going to say about him …