Thursday, May 17, 2007

Fallout ...

I have a nervous feeling, waiting for the District 7 race to finalize. I don’t like it hanging like this.

(Update: Oh dear, let me rephrase that: I don't like the results hanging fire like this).

So now I know most of the district names or more exactly their number desiginations. Progressives won in District 3 and (unconfirmed) District 7. I gather Reverend Burgess might be somewhat progressive as well, but I don’t know for sure. How will it be for Dr. Dowd to sit across from Darlene Harris, the woman he unseated from the School Board? Well, he worked with Jean Fink on the School Board, without *reported* violence, and she had reasons not to like him, so he may have some skills in diplomacy.

But there is hardly a progressive majority in Council yet. The reliable numbers seem to be 4 progressives (at best) to five, with Mayor Ravenstahl in the distance with a veto threat. And we have to wait seven months for that situation.

The only good I can see it that it sucked people in, gave them a reason to pay attention to city council.

Stll, for a couple of reasons, I can’t get as worked up as many in the Burghosphere.

2 comments:

Mark Rauterkus said...

The hype from the fellow bloggers has been wild. And, I agree, that it is nice to claim victory here and there -- but -- some of it is unfounded.

Len, Twanda and Jeff all LOST. The new folks are different. The win is the removal of the old.

Anonymous said...

Not so fast Mark. We are putting together a group of very disgruntled and motivated folks to launch either a write-in or independent candidate campiagn should Dowd be confirmed. There are a lot of people that are not too happy with the abuses of the media and the intimidation of people on election day.